Need a transcript from the IRS regarding your prior year US tax return as a proof of tax compliance? Or as a supporting document to reply to an IRS letter? We have seen times where either the IRS or taxpayer’s records were not updated, making a transcript critical to determine the next steps to assist our clients. You may obtain a transcript from the IRS through either of the below methods:-


Request Online electronic transcript

  1. You will need an existing IRS username or account in order to obtain the electronic transcripts.
  2. You may go to to sign into your account or create an account.
  3. You will be required to verify your identity when you create the account, either through self-service or live video chat agent.
    1. Things needed for Self-service verification
      1. Email address
      2. Social Security Card
  • Photo ID (Driver’s License, Passport, Passport Card, or State ID)
  1. Smartphone or computer with a camera
  1. Things needed for live video chat agent
    1. Two primary identification documents, OR
    2. One primary and two secondary identification documents
  1. Once you have accessed your account, you will be able to view, print, or download your transcript for the last 2 -3 years. You should not need to verify your identity again.


Request transcript to be sent by mail

  1. You may request it online at You will need your mailing address from your latest return for the process. The transcripts may take 5 to 10 calendar days to arrive. It may take months if you are living abroad.


  1. You may also request the transcript by calling the IRS at +1-800-908-9946 or +1-267-941-1000 if you are outside US.


The benefit for electronic transcript is you can obtain it within an hour, while a paper transcript will take at least 5 to 10 days or even months if you are living in Hong Kong or other foreign country.


Disclaimer: This information has been prepared for informational purposes only, and is not intended to provide, and should not be relied on for, tax, legal or accounting advice. You should consult your own tax, legal and accounting advisors or consult us regarding your own personal tax situation as this email was intended to be general in nature