1. Do you need an Employer Identification Number (EIN)?

Businesses generally need an employer identification number (EIN) if any one of the following is true:

  • Started a new business
  • Hired (or will hire) employees
  • Operating as a corporation or partnership
  • Created a trust
  • Withholding agent for taxes on nonwage income paid to a non-resident alien
  • Change in ownership or structure (a new EIN is not required when there is a change in business name)
  1. How to obtain an Employer Identification Number (EIN)?

If required, an employer identification number can be obtained via one using one of the following methods:

  1. Apply Online by visiting the IRS HERE
  2. Apply by Fax using Form SS-4
  3. Apply by mail
  4. Apply by Telephone

You may visit IRS website for more details if opting for C or D above.

  1. What do I need to obtain an employer identification number (EIN)?

When applying for an employer identification number (EIN) a taxpayer must disclose the Taxpayer Identification Number (SSN, ITIN or EIN) of the true principal officer, general partner, grantor owner or trustor.

  1. Do I need to pay when applying for an employer identification number?

Applying for employer identification number (EIN) is a free service offered by the Internal Revenue Service.

Above is aimed to provide general guidance only, to know more in detail on any of the above questions, please consult with your tax adviser or contact us today.