If you are not sure how many Mandatory Provident Fund (“MPF”) personal accounts you are holding, you may use the e-Enquiry of Personal Account (“ePA”) platform. The ePA is an electronic platform established by the Mandatory Provident Fund Schemes Authority (“MPFA”) to provide an easy-accessible channel for members of Mandatory Provident Fund (“MPF”) schemes to look up their own MPF personal accounts at any time.
Steps to request personal MPF account info:
2. To protect the personal data of scheme members, verification of identity by the MPFA after online application is required and scheme members may choose to:
a) Provide copies of his/her Hong Kong Identity Card and residential address proof of recent three months for identity verification upon online application and activate his/her account ; or
b) Visit MPFA’s officefor identity verification by presenting his/her Hong Kong Identity Card and activate his/her account.
3. The application for ePA service is a one-time process. Scheme members once successfully applied as ePA users may look up their own MPF personal accounts via ePA.
5. The personal MPF account information will be uploaded to the applicant’s ePA account on the next day.
6. MPF information available includes whether a scheme member has any personal accounts and, if so, the name and contact number of the trustee maintaining the personal account(s) as well as the total number of personal MPF accounts. You may contact the relevant trustee(s) direct for details of your Personal MPF Account(s).
Gigi has worked for many years in Hong Kong. She has changed jobs several times, therefore she may have held multiple personal MPF accounts from different MPF providers. However, she is unsure how many MPF personal accounts she is holding. Once she finds out about the ePA service, she downloads the mobile app to apply for the ePA service. She logs in to the account the next day and obtains a list of her personal MPF account information. She is then able to contact the relevant MPF providers for details of her MPF accounts.
1. What services are available at the e-Enquiry of Personal Account (“ePA”)?
- Check your personal MPF account online.
- Read the latest MPF information.
- Email notification on latest report of MPF Personal Account.
2. Do I need to pay for application or use of ePA service?
- ePA service is provided to MPF scheme members for free.
3. Reporting of MPF for US Taxes?
Since there is no treaty between the U.S. and Hong Kong, and the MPF is not identified by the U.S. as a qualified retirement plan, the contributions and the account growth are taxable. Remember MPF is a reportable financial account on the FBAR and FATCA filing Form 8938 Statement of Specified Foreign Financial Assets.
Disclaimer: This information has been prepared for informational purposes only, and is not intended to provide, and should not be relied on for, tax, legal or accounting advice. You should consult your own tax, legal and accounting advisors or consult us regarding your own personal tax situation as this article was intended to be general in nature.